Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Low iodine diet (LID): Day 1

Today was the first day of my low iodine diet.  For those of you who aren't well versed in the whole thyroid cancer world, the low iodine diet or LID is necessary in preparation for radioactive iodine. I will be getting a small dose of radioactive iodine at the end of the month for scanning purposes so this diet is necessary for me. So why low iodine of all things?  Because our thyroid cells are the only ones in our body that uptake iodine.  The logic behind the LID diet is to starve the thyroid cells of iodine so that when the radioactive iodine is introduced into the body, those cells will suck it up like a sponge. For about 3 weeks, I will need to do this diet.  And it SUCKS!  If you want the full scoop on LID, please visit the Thyroid Cancer Survivor's Association  for more info.

The hardest part for me about LID is that I can't eat the foods that were a big part of my healthy eating plan such as turkey bacon and dairy. Fresh fruits and veggies are great, but they can get boring in a hurry for me.  The challenge for me is to make the fresh fruits and veggies interesting.  This is hard to do when so many key ingredients are on the "not allowed" list for LID.  We did hit Jewel today and found a butter substitute which makes life easier.  Fleischmann's margarine does not have any dairy or salt in it.  Woot!  I am also very lucky to have a supportive & empathetic husband who loves to cook.  He made me some Indian flatbreads that I can either eat plan or use as a sandwich wrap.  They are a little plain but beggars can't be choosers, right?

On today's LID menu was:
*bananas
*raisins
*homemade chappattis (those flatbreads)
*orange juice (which I normally don't drink because of the calories)
*fruit strips--my only "packaged food" of the day
*sauteed onions, tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms--these were great with the chappattis.
*Aldi's fruit punch drink mix (happily does not have the disallowed dye)
*about 4 ounces of grilled chicken

For my healthy eating plan, I typically eat 1850 calories per day.  Today I ate 1178.  Yay for eating less of course because I am working on losing a lot of weight.  But what sucks is that I feel like I ate less.  I feel hungry and just "off".  Hopefully tomorrow will be a little easier for me.

My favorite foods for today:



Photobucket


Chapatti, chicken, sauteed veggie sandwich:


Photobucket

1 comment: