Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I know this shouldn't bother me, but...

So ABC News just broke into Oprah (which I was enjoying BTW...Maria Shriver is on) to talk about the Pope going to the White House. I understand that this is exciting to Catholics. I understand that there are a lot of Catholics in the United States. But why do we need to break into Oprah over his visit? It's not enough that it consumed the morning news? Mind you, I'd much rather see the Pope taking up a news hour than a tragedy.

That all being said.....
When the Dali Lama recently visited, I read about it in a very small article in a newspaper. I didn't see anything about on tv. They certainly didn't break into Oprah about it. Why is my religious leader less important than the Pope? 

Tenzin_Gyatzo_foto_1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. It's funny you mentioned the Dalai Lama, I was just thinking as I was reading about him. I'm Catholic, and while it's exciting, I thought to myself, wouldn't they do this for the Dalai Lama? You answered my question. It's a very big deal to Catholics, yes, as it's the first time (as you've probably heard--ha ha) he's been to the US, as well as the first time since 1979 a Pope has visited and there is a big outcry for assistance with the reputation of Priests in our country. But no, I don't think they should have ruined your Oprah viewing!

    You should check out the blog on my site called "Jean's Anthropology...". She, too, is an Anthropologist and has some fun things to write about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention, Maria Shriver is one of my heros. I think she's amazing.

    ReplyDelete