Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cole Hall to be torn down

Article here

I think this is the wrong decision because:

1. The state of Illinois is broke. As a taxpayer I am concerned about where this money is going to come from.

2. There are so many other issues at NIU that could use some state money thrown at them. Stevens Building is basically falling apart. There is not enough parking. I hear that the dorms are in need of serious attention as well.

3. There is nothing, no memorial, no tearing down of buildings that will erase what happened in Cole Hall on February 14th from our minds. Whatever we see in that spot will remind us all of what happened. We will feel sad, angry, scared or whatever comes to surface. Replacing one building with something else will not change that.

4. Most importantly, if we tear down that building the shooter takes something else away from us. He takes away part of our experience of moving on. We are at NIU for an education. An education that for many of us included Cole Hall. I never had a class in there but passed through it as a short cut many times. Anything that gets in the way or distracts from my educations prevents me from moving on. If we let that happen than the shooter keeps victimizing the students at NIU.

5. It's too soon for a decision this big to be made. I also wonder who Blago asked about this. Did he survey the NIU student population to see what they wanted? If so, I didn't get any such survey. I did send him a message and I suggest that if you feel the same about this to send one as well. Contact the governor here

No comments:

Post a Comment