Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 2 of Hypo Hell

I received my 2nd shot of thyrogen today. I didn't have the horrible anxiety that I experienced yesterday thankfully. The injection hurt a lot more though which I think I remember being the case before. I gave myself permission to miss class today because of sore fanny and the start of the hypo symptoms being a little overwhelming. While I don't like having the hypo symptoms, it's good to know that this drug I had is working. This drug that by the way, cost as much as if Josh and I went to Mexico for a week and stayed at an all-inclusive resort. But anyway....

So I figure that not everyone knows what I am referring to by "hypo". According to the thyroid cancer survivor's organization, this is what you can expect when you stop taking your replacement drugs and go hypo:

Hypothyroidism Symptoms Following Temporary Withdrawal from Thyroid Hormone

* Weakness, lethargy, cold intolerance, paleness, dry skin, coarse hair, and constipation can occur with hypothyroidism. Other symptoms may include delayed reflexes (such as the knee jerk when the knee is hit with a reflex hammer), brittle nails, increased blood pressure, and a slow heart rate.
* 'Some patients will feel relatively well except for tiredness. Some patients will feel extremely fatigued. However, older patients have greater hypothyroid manifestations, and some patients will have a difficult time performing daily tasks.Thus, as a precaution, all patients who are hypothyroid should avoid making important decisions and driving or operating heavy machinery for one to two weeks before and after the [radioiodine] scan or [radioiodine] treatment
* in many patients few symptoms occur in the time required to prepare for a radioactive scan or treatment or during the weeks afterward restarting thyroid hormone.
* However, patients experience a wide spectrum of symptoms during their period of temporary hypothyroidism. A few patients feel the same as before. The great majority feel considerably slowed down, both physically and mentally. Some describe it as feeling mildly sedated. They can converse and do household chores, but their reaction times are slower. They are also more prone to errors when doing tasks involving attention to details. A few patients feel more severe symptoms from among those described above.
* The time of recovery from the symptoms of hypothyroidism also varies from weeks to months, and this at least in part depends on how long it takes to appropriately adjust the dose of thyroid hormone


I would like to add to these:
* a headache that never wants to go away.
* staring at my hand
* staring at the wall
* not making sense when talking
* walking into a room and forgetting why I'm there
* feeling too tired to eat or just wanting to sit & eat nonstop. Can't win with the eating!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...it's good you decided to give yourself a break today...it sounds like maybe taking the week off wouldn't be such a bad idea! Easier said than done, I know...

    ReplyDelete