Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Apparently that "woohoo" was a little premature...

And the other shoe has dropped....sort of. I heard from my doctor yesterday about my blood test results and the next step in this great thyroid/lymph node adventure....and it's not the news I wanted. My thyroglobulin value is between 0 and .2.  I realize that I'm not going to hear a definitive "cancer free" and the best I can hope for is "undetectable". So that's a good result.

However, we are still not sure why my lymph nodes are huge.  So in March, I will repeat the neck ultrasound.  Depending on those results, I may have the thyrogen shots and thyroglobulin (TG) blood test again.

So the good news:
my TG value is less than .2 and there won't be any cutting into my neck to get out lymph nodes right now.

The bad news
: I had hoped this would be my last round of testing since I'm nearly 5 years out from my surgery and radioactive iodine therapy. At this point, I should be able to go off the yearly protocol. But instead I'm back to testing every 6 months. I feel disappointed, sad and somewhat angry. I want to move on with my life.  I have spent 5 years of my life worrying about cancer and I just want to be done. But I'm not done.  I'm still in limbo. It's still not settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment