Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2009

Life update

It's been 17 days since my Dad passed away. I don't feel any better or any less sad. I actually feel worse, more empty and more sad. But I take it hour by hour and try to go on with life.


I finished up the semester on Thursday with a presentation in my African politics class. It was hard for me to write the paper I had to present and harder to present it. The paper was basically my opportunity to put into writing what my career goals are. Ideally I will get to do post-grad education, followed by fieldwork in sub-Saharan Africa. My interest is in Sierra Leone. Ever since I first read about their civil war and the use of children as soldiers in 2002, I have felt drawn to studying that country. It was hard to present that paper, state my career goals, and never be more unsure if I would make them reality someday. This semester is not evidence of my capabilities as a student. I went from an A in French to a C which I'm sure was graciously given to me by my professor. I got a C in anthropology class which is distressing to me since that is my major. Luckily that class, I am able to take an incomplete in and bring that grade up. I did get an A in another anthropology class and an A on my big project of the semester. That I am proud of. One more class is still out there and I don't know what my grade is...that would be my African politics class. I anxiously check for a grade about every 1/2 hour.


My first instinct with taking an incomplete is that I wouldn't be able to relax over the break, but I'm slowly realizing that is still possible. Friday and today I took care of myself. I made doctor's appointments that I'd put off too long. I made an appointment with a therapist because I realize that I can't get through all the stress and grief on my own. I got my eyebrows waxed today...call me a masochist but I like having that done. I had lunch with a good friend and did some Christmas shopping too. It felt good to do something for me and relax a little.


Over the weekend, we painted the biggest wall we had left on main floor. It's sort of a caramel color. Please excuse the quality of the photos and the clutter.
The parts of the wall that are white, we plan on painting gold.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Abby also got her long leg cast off last week. Her doctor is super cool and she made Abby this candy cane themed cast. She should have this one for at least 3 more weeks.

Sad little broken leg.
Photobucket


Cheerful cast makes it a little better
Photobucket

My niece is getting prettier and chunkier as time passes. I am so lucky to live close to my sister so that I can see them often.
Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there lady....I wish so badly I could be there for you more...

    ReplyDelete