Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Low iodine diet, here I come!

I just talked to my endocrinologist on the phone.  My lymph nodes are bigger than they have ever been.  The radiologist thinks they are benign from what she saw, but she cannot be sure without a tissue sample. So...

I will be doing the radioactive iodine uptake and scan.  Of course this comes with bonus sucky low iodine diet (LID) that I have to be on for 2 weeks to starve my cells for iodine. I asked if I can put it off a couple more weeks because childish as this may be, I do not want to be on the LID for our 9th anniversary and my 34th birthday.  After how horrible last year's anniversary & birthday were I really want this year to be awesome. 

If anything lights up on that scan to indicate thyroid tissue or my thyroglobulin blood test has a value other than undetectable, I will have surgery to remove the lymph nodes in my neck causing this trouble.  As my doctor reminded me, if the cancer is back it is slow growing so we have time to get it. It really does seem unlikely that it is, but then it was unlikely that when I was 29 that I was diagnosed with Stage III thyroid cancer at all....

I'm trying to stay positive.  I don't have a choice but to go through this so I can see the bright future that I have on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment