Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Up on my soapbox

As an anthropology student, it comes naturally to me to read the world news. I try to be open minded and to be constantly learning about other cultures in an effort to understand their motivations and way of life. Sometimes it's hard to be neutral and not get upset and judgemental. Sometimes though I read things that make me angry like this article on BBC.com:

"Thousands of Iranian women have been cautioned over their poor Islamic dress this week and several hundred arrested in the capital Tehran in the most fierce crackdown on what's known as "bad hijab" for more than a decade."

Read the rest here

What upsets me most about this is that women are treated as though they are nothing. There are so many in Iran today who used to be lawyers, doctors, judges, etc. Now they are getting arrested for not covering themselves in the manner considered proper by their government. Covering one's body or head with a veil or burka should be a personal choice. It shouldn't be mandated and it certainly shouldn't be a reason to send a woman to the clink.

I just feel so angry when I read things like this. Why do men treat women like they are worthless? Doesn't every man have a mother? Isn't it women who are responsible for giving life to men? How then is it that men can turn around and treat women no better than animals?

No comments:

Post a Comment