Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Proud to be a domestic goddess


I am taking an Anthropology class about women in different cultures. I love this class. I love the professor and the topic. My classmates actually seem pretty cool too. Today we talked about women in America. About women in college, women in the workplace, etc. 2 different women in my class voiced their feelings about how they couldn't understand why anyone would want to be a stay at home mom. One of them shared this after I said I was a stay at home mom...ouch.

Obviously we all have different opinions which is totally fine. I love being a mom. I love being a wife. I might mock the 1950's stereotype of a housewife. I am so not a 1950's housewife. My husband doesn't come in at 6 to me offering him up a martini and his slippers. I do not clean my house in high heels and spend all day baking. I don't even cook 90% of the time. I have my own opinions and my own choices to make.

I really resent the idea that women who are stay at home moms have a dumb life. We don't. We are a rare things these days and we choose to be stay at home moms because that's what best for our families and it's what we want. It's not the best thing for everyone and it's not everyone's dream job. But it is mine. I love my children more than anything. My life does revolve around them and that's how I want it to be. I want to be home for them on days off of school. I want to be able to go to the teacher conferences, special events at school and doctor's appointments. My mother was a stay at home mom until I was in junior high. I know it was a tough job for her, but she was fantastic at it. I hope to be as a good of a mom as she is. That's my career goal.

So right now I'm kind of feeling like I don't belong at NIU. I'm feeling like screw school. I already have a great job. I'm a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment