Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The "good cancer" chronicles

After my last clean scan in the early fall last year, I felt like I was home-free. No more cancer worries. I'm just over 4 years out from my diagnosis and the more time that passes, the more confident I feel that I have defeated my cancer. I stopped identifying with the cancer patient part of my life. And I got cocky.

But in a recent visit to my endocrinologist, I got my reality check. I told her I didn't think I needed anymore scans. There are too pricey and time consuming. Besides, I'm sure that I'm cured. And then she reminded me of a few things....
*My cancer was/is Stage III which means it deserves more scrutiny.
*The lymph nodes in my neck have acted suspiciously in the past. (Apparently it's possible to have a good thyroglobulin blood test result, but still have cancer cells show up in a scan.)
*Thyroid cancer behaves differently than other cancers and can show up again after being dormant for a decade or two. From Thyca.org:
"
While the prognosis for most thyroid cancer patients is very good, the rate of recurrence can be up to 30%, and recurrences can occur even decades after the initial diagnosis. Therefore, it is important that patients get regular follow-up examinations to detect whether the cancer has re-emerged. Monitoring should continue throughout the patient’s lifetime."

I am thankful for my reality check in ways. I need to stop on top of my check-ups. I need to keep up with testing, no matter how pricey or time consuming. Because if I do ever have a recurrence, I need to fight back. Knowledge is power.

And while I can be positive and say it's good that I have a more realistic picture of what to expect and be thankful for being cancer-free today, I am also going to be honest. The part of me that remembers all too well what treatment felt like and is battle-weary from years of dealing without a thyroid...that part of me is afraid and sad. I wish I could just be done dealing with this and skip merrily along into the future worry-free that my cancer would ever return.

But for today, I accept that this is my life. I embrace the cancer patient part of who I am, if only to keep in mind that I have to stay vigilant. And I give myself permission to be carefully optimistic and to feel sad or scared some days. Most of all, I remind myself that I'm a fighter.

But to those of you who say this is the "good cancer", I say "pffft!".

7 comments:

  1. Excellent Megan! You ARE a fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benefit to being a cancer survivor: You find out of truly bad ass you are!! You are STRONG! You are a FIGHTER! You are a ass-kicking zombie-fighting, vampire-staking GI Jane when you need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! Forgot my link: http://ibeatcancer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,

    Congrats on being a SURVIVOR! :) Throw a giant party for yourself when you reach 5 years -- I did and it was one of the best nights of my life.

    Love that you wrote about needing a reality check. Gave me something to think about because I've had the "I don't need this anymore" thoughts too! I'm also a thyroid cancer survivor, by the way.

    I'm linking back to this post and your blog on my blog (link below). I'd love it if you'd check it out and possibly recommend my site to your followers!

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts,

    Kaylea Notarthomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog!!!

    Huggss
    Erica in Singapore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog!!!

    Huggss
    Erica in Singapore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Megan. I think there are many ways to relate here, but most importantly, you have gone through something most of us don't and you made it this far...I have high expectations that while you have to stay on top of it, you will always BE on top of it. :)

    ReplyDelete